By Anupum Pant
As if liquid alcohol wasn’t itself causing enough menace, now we have this futuristic powdered alcohol. They call it “Palcohol”.
All you need is, to mix a little of it with water, and there, you have your doze for the day. Other way to consume it would be to snort it for an “instantaneous high”, which by the way, is nothing less than deadly.
On an unrelated note, I find the host of this show is so adorable.
- Palcohol certainly makes it easy for kids (and others) to carry alcohol around, and also to move it into places where it isn’t allowed (football games and concerts), which is definitely not desirable.
- Also, the powder is highly flammable. Who wants a bomb in their pocket?
- Another really bad thing about it is that it can easily kill you. Snorting can damage your mucous membrane. Also, since it is alcohol in high concentration, you can easily overdose on powdered alcohol and pass out.
- The nightmare of every person, date rape, well, that just got a lot easier. Scary! How easy would it be for a creep to slip this powder into a drink of an unsuspecting victim – This is also Lacy’s primary concern (watch the video below).
- So many new laws need to be in place before it gets available for public.
The patent to create powdered alcohol was published long back, in the 70s, but it is only now that they have got a federal approval. However, the Fed’s approval was taken back due to some issues. It is interesting to note that several other countries like Japan, Netherlands and Germany already have such products that are being sold in the market. How do the authorities in those countries deal with this menace!
Nevertheless, Palcohol, a new and improved way to get drunk is here. It’s not going back.
Good news (?) is that it can be made at home. Read this PopSci article for the recipe.
I see only problems with Palcohol. I don’t think it needs to be in the retail market. What do you say?